A hearty and filling soup packed with flavor. If you love tacos you’re going to love this soup!
Yeild: 6 servings
2 cups boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
2 cups Prepared Italian Gravy (sauce) or 1- 6 Oz. Can Tomato Paste
1/2 cup Salsa (I prefer to use, “Tostitos chunky, mild”)
2 cups Beef Broth, Low Sodium (my favorite store bought broth is “College Inn”)
2 cups Chicken Broth, Low Sodium
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots (“Bird’s Eye” Tastes the Freshest) (“Bird’s Eye” tastes the freshest)
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup green pepper, washed, seeded and chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup Baked Tortilla Chips, Crushed
1/2 cup tomato, diced
3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (or use the link below for the homemade taco seasoning mix recipe ) I sometimes use McCormick 30% low sodium
1/2 teaspoon Lime Juice, approximately 1/3 of lime squeezed
1. In a medium pot, add all ingredients. Bring to a slow boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 15 to 30 minutes. Stirring frequently.
2. Boil 1 chicken breast in 4 cups of water about 30 – 40 minutes or until juices run clear when poked with a fork. Let cook and Shred removing all fat and any bones.
3. Take about 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups depending on your desired thickness and place in a food processor. Return pureed mixture to the pot. *(Sometimes I skip this step and add 1/4 cup more crushed Tortilla Chips, which thickens the soup)
4. After blender step, add shredded chicken to the soup mixture
5. Continue to simmer another 15 to 30 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning. (I have a gas oven and use a diffuser)
6. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips and serve.
TIME-SAVER TIP: use frozen mixed vegetables in lieu of chopped peppers, carrots, corn and peas.
If you like it with a zing, try adding a few shakes of crushed red pepper. This recipe is great for using those leftovers in the fridge, vegetables, sauce, broths, salsa, etc.
Don’t add the chicken and use 4 cups vegetable broth instead of chicken & beef broths for a delicious Vegetarian Tortilla Soup.
Ladle left-over soup into smaller containers and refrigerate.
Or freeze up to 3 months for a quick hearty soup anytime. Just heat in microwave. Heating times will vary due to size of container and microwave.