Nothing says, “Happy St. Patrick’s Day” like this traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe.
4 Pounds Brisket of Corned Beef rinsed and dried
1 Each Onion quartered
3 Each Carrot, peeled and chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Each Bay Leaf
1 Head Cabbage, outer layers peeled, rinsed and quartered
1 Each Season Packet (supplied With Brisket), Optional
1. In a large stock pot place corned beef and cover with water.
2. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, and bay leaf
3. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat approx. 3 hours or until tender *(Add water from time to time to keep meat submerged)
4. During cooking skim off meat fats that form on the surface of the water and discard.
5. 45 minutes before the end of cooking time, skim out about 2 cups of water
6. Peel off the outer layers of the cabbage cut stem and quarter
7. In a large pot, add the 2 cups of skimmed liquid and place in cabbage. Then top with water until cabbage is covered. (I like to add a dash of ground clover and 2 tablespoons butter into the water during cooking for extra flavor)
8. Cook for approx 15-25 minutes until tender.
9. Drain cabbage well after cooking.
10. Remove brisket from liquid and slice
Serving Side Suggestion (See Boiled Red Potatoes)